Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Sleeps Holy Mountain

Go down 
+5
Voggis
mankvill
philisthebest
Mash
Heat
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Sleeps Holy Mountain Empty
PostSubject: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Band: Sleep
Album: Sleep's Holy Mountain
Year: 1993

Line up;

Al Cisneros - bass guitar, vocals
Matt Pike - guitar
Chris Hakius - drums

Well, when I found out about stoner metal, and doom metal in general I quickly found 'Sleep'. They've since been my very favorite stoner and favorite band in genre. Sleeps Holy Mountain really influenced me personally to get into more and more stoner and doom metal. Quickly, I found bands such as Electric Wizard, Orange Goblin, then moving on too sludge and more and more random doom bands.

Sleep as a band has always had the perfect mix of 'stoner' elements and 'Sabbath' worship to make them so fun and intresting to listen too. If you're a fan of stoner metal or doom metal, this is a very essential album, also if you're just a Sabbath fan, you'll probably enjoy this album a lot.

Ok, so to discuss the musical stand point of this album. Personally I think the vocals on this album are pretty cool, honestly. It's often times seen someone loves or hates the sound of the vocals and evern though Al Cisneros’s vocals are so unnatural sounding and such a synthesized. Inturmentally this album is also a master sound. Being this is stoner metal I've got to say something about the riffs, they're fantastic, amazing even, as far as adding to the sound of the band and album.

'Dragonaut' starts out very fuzzy and is extremely heavy from the start. The drums really help set the mood of this song along with the bass sounds kicking in also. Lyrically this song and entire album is very Sabbath influenced aswell. 'The Druid' has a very thick and punkish feel to the music, while it still remains completely doom metal. When the drums rumble in along with the bass the song automatically takes a term for the better, as the song is so fuzzy and such Sabbath-like riffing. I hear at of War Pig type riff in this particular song. However, everyone may not see that. The bass in this song is really standout too me, for some reason. I guess because of the clearly and quickly played basslines and the drums that follow in a long with a 'blazing' solo. "Evil Gypsy/Solomon's Theme" starts out with a huge feedback sound and then leads into the drums and bass slowly coming towards you. This song has a density to it like no other, on this album. It's very dense and pounding drums and basslines are very intresting. 'Some Grass' not really much to say here, because this is just a small little 48 song 'bluegrass' type tune they've got on this album. I however, wish they would make a full lenght song like this, I enjoyed the sound and need more. Sometimes I put this particular song on repeat for a couple times over. 'Aquarian' has a very slow tempo, but adds such a thumping and roaring sound. The solo in this song is pretty cool as it slowly 'blaze's' out. 'Holy Mountain' is the title track and I see why, it's easily one of my favorites. Has a pretty cool temp along with a very nice and the crashing drums and bass in this song also add to the mix of yet another great song. The lyrics in this song are once more very stand out and intresting too me, song has that same thick vibe I get from most of the album, and most of Sleep's work. It's a good thing, though, nothing bad. I quite enjoy the work. The rhythm in this song and on this album is always so very unpredictable. 'Insdie the Sun' is one of those tracks I've got a pretty hard time putting into words so I'll explain it the best I can, I suppose. It's sorda uptempoed with the drums and the guitar has a lot of feedback in there. Heavy amounts of echo and distortion is used around and about in here. 'From Beyond' is one of the songs on here thats very low and personally has a moody vibe too it for me. I've read other reviews where this was said it was a very moody type song. The minimal guitar isn't my favorite in this song but the slow and light bass makes up for it, I suppose. If I had to explain it in a manner to make someone understand it, SLOW with BLUESY vibes too it. The repeting melody is kept going as the fuzzy guitar resusmes. The bass and drums are just massaive in this thread, to be honest with you. The echo in the vocals ass to the mood of the song and to the overall good of the song, for me.

I give this album an 8/10. Not a perfect album because well, it is for me, but I know being non baised it's not. I've never smoked and listened too this album, when I get that experience hopefully I can rewrite a review and give my two cents on it then.

Anyway, I suggest this album to anyone who calls themself a doom fan, or if you're getting into doom metal! BUY IT!

Review is shitty at the end I got tired of writing, lol, maybe I'll rewrite it later.
Back to top Go down
Heat
Admin
Admin
Heat

Number of posts : 10900
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:33 pm

Great review for a fantastic album. Thanks Dope... cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hmpf.forumotion.com
Mash

Mash

Number of posts : 2822
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:25 am

I will check this out! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Metalmash666

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Metalmash wrote:
I will check this out! Thanks!
Hopefully you like it man! It's an amazing album, my favorite ever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:22 pm

its fantastic lots of great stoner rock outfits out there.
Back to top Go down
philisthebest

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:33 am

good review, but if youre giving you favorite album ever an 8/10 you must have some high standards
Back to top Go down
mankvill

mankvill

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm

This album is perfect. Absolute 10/10 for me, even 11/10 if possible. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://mandatory-metallica.blogspot.com
Voggis

Voggis

Number of posts : 3559
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm not a big fan of stoner, but I really like Sleep and especially this record Horn
Back to top Go down
http://voggis.blogspot.com/
Carrion Crow

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 11:36 am

I own this on cassette.

The only offspring from this band that I really don't care all that much about is High on Fire; their earlier stuff is fine but that new album is pretty shit.
Back to top Go down
F4R15

F4R15

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Cult record. Snowblind cover is great. Must hear for every stoner fan, and pothead as well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BrandonConvicted

BrandonConvicted

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 2:23 pm

YEAH. One of my favorite full albums out there, start to finish. I learned to play Dragonaut on guitar, it's fun as fuck. Good shit to get ripped to.
Back to top Go down
Nihil_
Nihil_

Number of posts : 1374
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 3:37 pm

BrandonConvicted wrote:
YEAH. One of my favorite full albums out there, start to finish. I learned to play Dragonaut on guitar, it's fun as fuck. Good shit to get ripped to.

Awesome. I love to play that song on my guitar aswell Wink
Back to top Go down
BrandonConvicted

BrandonConvicted

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2011 3:47 pm

I learned it all by ear, it was one of the few songs I know that took more than a few tries to nail down. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeps Holy Mountain   Sleeps Holy Mountain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sleeps Holy Mountain
Page 1 of 1