Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nisstyre 56

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... Empty
PostSubject: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 12:10 am

I've been playing for almost 5 years now, got a couple things going with some other people, took lessons for 3 ish years. I can answer any questions for any newbies to drumming.

I use a shitty Ludwig accent kit because I can't afford anything better, but I get it to sound decent through various techniques.

My drumming idols: Gavin Harrison, Sean Reinert, Bill Bruford, Billy Cobham.

How bout' you people?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 pm

heh, ive always loved drums, my fav instrument...but my parents, being the assholes they are never agreed to getting me one...so i had to settle with a guitar instead. ah well better than nothing...

but...i do have drum sticks... XD

ITS A START...gotta start somewhere...and im getting there... tongue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 2:39 pm

I used to play drums for a couple of years when I was younger. Have a beginners Pearl set sitting at home at my parent's and collecting dust tongue Would love to resume playing some time, but it just doesn't seem to be any time for it :(
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 8:40 am

Well I'm playing drums for year and for now I have Amati drum set... It's very lame, I am planing to buy old TAMA but we'll see =)
Any advice how can I get better sound of my drums?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 2:28 pm

I tried to learn drumming from my friend for like 2 months and just when I had to leave the city for university, he got double bass pedals!
He had an ok Chancellor kit and Mapex pedals later
Back to top Go down
Nisstyre 56

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 11:05 pm

Dulle wrote:
Well I'm playing drums for year and for now I have Amati drum set... It's very lame, I am planing to buy old TAMA but we'll see =)
Any advice how can I get better sound of my drums?

Yeah, keep em in tune, and stuff the bass drum with a pillow.

Also either get what is called a deadening ring for your snare, or make one yourself with an old drumhead, it's basically a head with middle cut out, so a ring (durr). You place it on your snare drumhead.

You can also try cutting off the two outer wires from the bottom of your snare drum. So there'd be the long metal snare going under, and like 6 or 8 wires or something, and you'd take a pair of wire cutters and take out two single wires, one from each side of the grouping.

To tune, first, you are going to need a drum key. That looks like this.

Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... 12537

Now, what you want to do is loosen all of the tuning lugs on your drum till they are no longer exerting any tension on the drumhead. (ie, until it is possible to pull them out)

Now, you want to turn each lug about a half turn equally until you have the tone you want

It is best to do it in a criss-cross manner.

Let's assume you are tuning the snare drum, which would have eight lugs.

Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... Drumtuningpic

So you would follow each number (turning the drum key a half turn each time) and then after you've gone through once, give your drum a tap, keep doing this until you have the sound you want.

You can get a drum key at any music store for a buck or two.

It is VERY important they are equally turned, after you are done, tap the area near each tuning lug on the head to make sure each sound the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 3:12 am

Hell men! I always dreamed to be a drummer. But not in my town...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Yep stuffing the pillow in the bass drum is absolutely required unless you don't want to it to sound like that of a marching band Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... 965191
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I had two friends, drummers, i asked them to teach me how to play. It was fun until one time. I got really mad about something and somehow i ended with a stick in a drum.That was the end of my drumming career.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Hey guys I'm gonna start playing the drums this summer, and I'd like to know if its easy or not... I've never played an instrument, so Im starting from zero...

I like how Bonham played, and right now I think that Joey Jordison and Lars Ulrich are the better ones...
Back to top Go down
rawheavygreen

rawheavygreen

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 11:53 am

learn all things Bonham and Ward then play Doom metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 8:56 am

I was definitely gonna suggest Bill Ward as well, and doom metal is awesome.

If you dig Bonham and Metallica, grunge acts are probably right up your alley, since they're effectively "classic rock + heavy metal."

About Ulrich though, he's typically regarded as the "Ringo" of the metal drumming community; except he's not totally useless because he can arrange songs... and he has a castle. Probably makes his stuff a good a starting place but, as with most things Metallica, if you want similar but classier, roll Megadeth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:06 pm

If your into metal drumming check out the DVD "Extreme Metal drumming 101" by Flo Mourier of Cryptopsy. He has some amazing technique and shows a lot on how to train for metal drumming (especialy death metal)
Back to top Go down
hemicharger69

hemicharger69

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 pm

rawheavygreen wrote:
learn all things Bonham and Ward then play Doom metal.

that's exactly what i did.

www.myspace.com/keefmetal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...   Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drumming thread! Advice/technique/composition/gear/etc...
Page 1 of 1