Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Frank Zappa

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hungryfreak

Hungryfreak

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Anyone here a fan of the greatest musician to have ever walked the earth? He was a genius on many levels, able to write a part for any instrument in the context of any genre and make it sound great. His discography is nice, large and eclectic. I've only scratched the surface with 16 of his albums, all of which I love. We're Only In It For The Money is my all time favorite album overall.
Back to top Go down
Heat
Admin
Admin
Heat

Number of posts : 10900
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:04 pm

You know, I respect everything Zappa has done in his magnificent and illustrious career but I just never really got into his music. I mean, I do like some of his stuff but overall I really was just never a huge fan.
Back to top Go down
https://hmpf.forumotion.com
Hungryfreak

Hungryfreak

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Understandable. I didn't like him much at first either. I only enjoyed a couple songs off of Freak Out!, but then I read his autobiography and I gained a newfound respect for the man and music. My situation was a bit different, though, because the transition I made was realization that it's okay for music to be weird. Damn, I was close-mined then, haha.
Back to top Go down
Heat
Admin
Admin
Heat

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:22 pm

I try not to ever be close minded with music, if I was I would have missed out on quite a bit. I probably should give Zappa a fair chance. It wouldn't be right for me to ignore an artist such as him. Like i did say though, I do respect his work. One of these days I will try it out again.
Back to top Go down
Hungryfreak

Hungryfreak

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Don't worry, I'm not calling you close-minded, I'm kicking myself for having been, haha. I'll bet you could definitely find something of his you like. It all depends on your interests. He's got prog rock, jazz, doo-wop, proto-punk, psychedelic, blues rock, experimental and much more under his sleeves.
Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 pm

He is good. However, I like The Velvet Underground more.
Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 2:12 am

I have a ton of respect for Zappa. I mean, a ton. He was against the whole PMRC crap and shit. He stood up for freedom of speech in music. He's a really great guy. I never got into his music, since I think it's a bit bizarre for my tastes.
Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 am

Frank Zappa is god Smile
Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:55 pm

^I was just about to say that. Everyone should at least get Hot Rats and Freak Out! albums, though the guy had a massive discography with so much absolutely flawless-stuff. From some genious jazz-fusion-progressive to insanely arranged pop-compositions and even classical. I also recommend the biography written by Barry Miles, it gets pretty deep into Frank's persona.
Back to top Go down
Heat
Admin
Admin
Heat

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Think I'll buy that book next time I'm at Barnes and Noble.
Back to top Go down
Voggis

Voggis

Number of posts : 3559
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 pm

I like Frank Zappa, but it's hard to get into his music even if you are open-minded. The best way to start is to get one of his many compilation albums with his "hits". These albums contain mostly of his more easier material like Bobby Brown (Goes Down) and so forth.
His albums is quite diverse, so you need to expect anything to occur while listening to his albums.
Back to top Go down
http://voggis.blogspot.com/
Hungryfreak

Hungryfreak

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Yeah, usually when people are getting into Zappa, I'll recommend the Strictly Commercial compilation, since his discography can be a bit intimidating.

Cuoma wrote:
^I was just about to say that. Everyone should at least get Hot Rats and Freak Out! albums, though the guy had a massive discography with so much absolutely flawless-stuff. From some genious jazz-fusion-progressive to insanely arranged pop-compositions and even classical. I also recommend the biography written by Barry Miles, it gets pretty deep into Frank's persona.

I prefer his autobiography. That thing's the bible, haha.
Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Hungryfreak wrote:
Yeah, usually when people are getting into Zappa, I'll recommend the Strictly Commercial compilation, since his discography can be a bit intimidating.

Cuoma wrote:

I prefer his autobiography. That thing's the bible, haha.

Yeah, I have to admit that I haven't been able to read that yet. But I WILL.
Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 11:30 am

Frank Zappa is king. But still, there is too much 'nonsense' in his music that doesn't really attract me.
Songs like Cosmic Debri, i don't like them. But on the other side, Broken Hearts Are For Assholes is great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Frank Zappa Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frank Zappa   Frank Zappa I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frank Zappa
Page 1 of 1