Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Van Der Graaf Generator

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Van Der Graaf Generator Empty
PostSubject: Van Der Graaf Generator   Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:55 am

Perhaps my favourite progressive group ever. The band's intensive and at times haunting athmosphere with Peter Hammill's insane vocals has something very sick and very beautiful at the same time. The trademark alto/tenor-sax runnings by David Jackson and gloomy hammond-patterns ny Hugh Banton are also a vital part of the Vdgg-sound. Almost every single release is flawless but especailly Pawn Hearts and Godbluff.

The one mentioned first is One of my favourite albums of all time. Very, very stable, even though Lemmings fades a bit when compared to the other two. Peter Hammill's vocals are insane as
hell, and at the same time very melancholic and full of bittersweetnes.
Lemmings is a bit whacky opener with some insane piano and sax-work. Man-Erg completes the most of it's awesomeness simply by Hammill's clean piano and
vocals. In the middle we have some drainages and even a bit of electric guitar
by Fripp from Crimson. But the ultimate climax is naturally yet to come.
In all of it's massiveness, angst, joy, paranoia and fucking a' musicianship, A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers is one of the three songs that you'd listen first
and then die happily. The band itself does naturally a fine job. Hammill is one
of the most piercing vocalists of all time and David Jackson adds his notch to the chaos with his mentally unstable fonelicks.

Godbluff is almost nearly as diamond, though the songs are a bit more stable and it doesn't have an half-hour epic as a finale. Get 'em both.

I recommend this band to everyone who's into music of any sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5A06EYNUZc
Scorched Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXryhDGUXPQ&feature=related
Arrow
Back to top Go down
Hungryfreak

Hungryfreak

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Van Der Graaf Generator   Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:12 pm

As a big prog fan, I love these guys. Pawn Hearts is great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Der Graaf Generator   Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 4:19 am

Cuoma wrote:
Get 'em both.
Correction: Get 'em all.
There's not one Van der Graaf Generator album I have been disappointed by, not even The Quiet Zone or World Record.
My favourite still are the second and third album, The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other and H to He, Who Am The Only One. There's a good reason I'm running around with the avatar of the second after all.

David Jackson is great, one of the people who made me pick up the saxophone. So are all others, great musicians with a good feel for what the songs need, all above Peter Hammill, who never was a real virtuoso on the instrument he played, but rather could play exactly as much as the song required. His electric guitar work, especially on his solo records, shows that well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Der Graaf Generator   Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Wow, I never thought I'd find fellow VdGG-Fans HERE! Sweet!
A few months ago a friend of mine introduced me to them, and I am so loving this music!
A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is arguably one of the most epic songs ever recorded, that is imho!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Der Graaf Generator   Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 3:33 am

^Great man, there's never enough worshippers of VdGG.
Back to top Go down
Veljko

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Van Der Graaf Generator   Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 5:11 am

I love this band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Der Graaf Generator   Van Der Graaf Generator I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Der Graaf Generator
Page 1 of 1