Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heat
Admin
Admin
Heat

Number of posts : 10900
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion Empty
PostSubject: Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion   Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 8:26 am

Results of long-awaited bank stress tests reveal that 10 out of 19 banks tested need to raise new capital. Bank of America must raise $33.9 billion.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ten of the nation's 19 largest banks will need to raise a total of $74.6 billion in capital, federal officials announced Thursday, bringing an end to relentless speculation about how much more money the nation's leading banks would need to withstand the recession.

More than two months after launching the so-called "stress test" program, leading regulators said that more than half of the banks tested would require capital to absorb additional losses if the economy weakens further.

Under the most severe economic scenario, regulators estimated losses could reach $599 billion for the group, the bulk of which coming from residential mortgages and other consumer loans such as credit cards.

Leading the list of companies that need more capital was Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), which faces a $33.9 billion shortfall. Following behind was Wells Fargo (WFC, Fortune 500) and struggling auto finance firm GMAC, which will need to raise $13.7 billion and $11.5 billion respectively.

Beleaguered banking giant Citigroup (C, Fortune 500), which has taken hold of approximately $50 billion in government aid to date, is being asked to raise $5 billion, regulators said. (See how much all the big banks need, as well as how much they could lose in the worst-case scenario.)

Five regional lenders -- PNC, Regions Financial, SunTrust, Fifth Third and KeyCorp will also be required to raise new capital. So will Wall Street investment bank Morgan Stanley (MS, Fortune 500), which regulators said would require $1.8 billion to shore up its capital position.

Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500), JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500), American Express (AXP, Fortune 500) and Bank of New York Mellon were among the nine banks that regulators said do not need to raise more capital. The others were Capital One Financial, BB&T, U.S. Bancorp, State Street and insurer MetLife.

The completion of the stress tests and the pending capital raises by some institutions will mean that "banks can get back to the business of banking," Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner said in a conference call with reporters Thursday.

"This transparent, conservatively designed test should result in a more efficient, stronger banking system," Geithner said.

Results of the tests, which were first made known to executives at participating banks nearly two weeks ago, have steadily surfaced in media reports in recent days.

Regulators were originally slated to release the results earlier this week, but pushed the announcement back after some banks disagreed with the government's findings.[u]
Back to top Go down
https://hmpf.forumotion.com

Stress tests: Banks need $75 billion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Metal Meltdown :: Off Topic Discussions :: Serious Business-
Jump to: