Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley

Go down 
+3
jjbeerj
Heat
Hungryfreak
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hungryfreak

Hungryfreak

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley Empty
PostSubject: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Album: Welcome To Sky Valley
Artist: Kyuss
Release Date: June 28, 1994
Genre: Stoner Rock/Desert Rock
Track Listing:
1. "Gardenia"
2. "Asteroid"
3. "Supa Scoopa And Mighty Scoop"
4. "100º"
5. "Space Cadet"
6. "Demon Cleaner"
7. "Odyssey"
8. "Conan Troutman"
9. "N.O."
10. "Whitewater"

Kyuss was a band at the forefront of the stoner rock/metal movement along with bands such as sHEAVY and Sleep. With a slower sound and a fuzzier production, Kyuss wrote anthems for the weedians and marijuanauts of the world. While more towards the end of their discography, Welcome To Sky Valley remains Kyuss's essential album.

Starting off strong with "Gardenia," a tribute to driving, the album demonstrates Kyuss's ability to be as heavy as possible while still being mellow. It then descends into "Asteroid," with only the guitar at first, crying a spacey tone. The rest of the instruments then join it, hammering you with the added heaviness before breaking down and starting back from only the guitar and building back up.

The album takes a sudden drop from the heavy ending of "Asteroid" as it plunges directly into "Supa Scoopa And Mighty Scoop," which brings to play some faster sounds and more psychedelic tones. The song's end draws out with long spaces between the heavy notes, so their full weight is felt. It is followed by perhaps the fastest track on the album, "100º". Even with the added speed, though, the fuzzy sound still manages to make the song soothing.

After an abrupt ending to the previous song, "Space Cadet," the lightest song on the album picks up. It is also one of the spaciest and most immersive songs of the album. It makes you feel the sheer size and emptiness of the desert, especially because of the sharp contrast to the other, much heavier songs. The weight is brought up again, though, by "Demon Cleaner," which features some of the most soothing vocals in the album. As John Garcia's voice echoes "yeah," it caries your mind across the sonic plane along with the rolling bass drum beneath the stoner guitar riffs.

"Odyssey" continues the tradition of using light intros to introduce heavier sections in another of the albums more rocking tunes and leads into "Conan Troutman," another heavy and quick tune. "N.O." switches from between faster and slower sections while remaining consistently heavy and makes apparent its Sabbath influences along with classic rock sounds. "Whitewater" closes the album as the longest song and is perhaps the heaviest song on the album. It ends, though, with a minute-long doo-wop parody, that creates a sharp contrast to the albums serious tone and shows that Kyuss has a sense of humor.

The album was originally divided into three suites, the first two being three songs long and the third being four songs long. It shows by the similar sounds among the groups. It is effective in making the album feel epic. The sections seem as though they could very well be their own albums, but the band manages to tie them together brilliantly and, as it comes to an end and you look back, you realize just how much the album had to offer in only about 52 minutes.

Welcome To Sky Valley is an amazing exercise in stoner rock that plays around with your mind as it should. The arrangements always invoke images and feelings that the band wants you to see and feel and takes you on a trip without you having to move. Definitely an essential album to any lover of all things heavy, desert and/or chemical.

-------------------------------------------------

I wrote this review a couple months ago. Commentary would be good since I don't write album reviews often and want to improve.
Back to top Go down
Heat
Admin
Admin
Heat

Number of posts : 10900
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Awesome review dude...Thank you...Keep em coming...
Back to top Go down
https://hmpf.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 4:45 am

Thank you for this introduction in stoner rock.^^
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 am

Great review! It's always nice to get that feeling that you're out all alone on a desert road when you listen to stoner rock Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 4:47 pm

great review and -- a great album... Kyuss brought me in stoner... good memories Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:05 pm

dotoka wrote:
great review and -- a great album... Kyuss brought me in stoner... good memories Wink

I remember when i got the album for the first time, I took it home popped it in the cd player, cranked the volume and pressed play, fucking magic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:08 pm

^^ i know, it`s fucking brilliant! Gardenia makes me wanna have sex immediately Very Happy
some kind of a reflex or something...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:17 pm

hahaha awesome, my kind of girl Smile Kyuss fans always rule
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:42 pm

yeah, actually when I first heard Kyuss, I was blown away... and still when I listen to them, I wish I would`ve known about them earlier.. although then I would be like what?-- 5 years old?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:52 pm

Yeah they were around a wee while ago, I think I was about 19 when I discovered them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 4:54 pm

there are many bands which I have discovered and started to like only when some or all of the members have died or split up... Very Happy

Last edited by dotoka on Sun May 17, 2009 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:04 pm

Isn't that they way though? Annoying but not much you can do about it. It's a shame there are all the hanger on people who only listen to Kyuss because its the "thing to do".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 5:42 pm

i realised that it`s better to have memories about great bands than watching them get older and older...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Yeah thats a good point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Kyuss definitely is a certain trip when you hear they songs!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:58 pm

"there are many bands which I have discovered and started to like only when some or all of the members are dead or have split up... Very Happy"

I started to hear Voivod just after Jason Newsted joined the band and after Dennis Piggy died as well : (

but they're one of my top of metal bands actually!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks a lot for this cool review! I have to check them out I think ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 4:25 am

I bought the album yesterday and I liked it right from the beginning. I will give it some more spins during the next week because there`s really a lot to discover in these 52 minutes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 6:04 am

The-Aftermath wrote:
I bought the album yesterday and I liked it right from the beginning. I will give it some more spins during the next week because there`s really a lot to discover in these 52 minutes.

Get the other albums aswell, especially "Blues for the Red Sun" Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 5:22 pm

The-Aftermath wrote:

The secret is playing it as loud as possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Great review dude. One thing I would suggest is adding a score out of 10 at the end, just to give an indication of how it fares overall, especially if you are going to do a lot of album reviews.
Back to top Go down
Hungryfreak

Hungryfreak

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2009-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Thank you. i suck at numbering, though, so my reviews would either get all tens or perhaps nines to be edgy and show that I'm so elitist as to not enjoy anything fully.

That said, I would give it an eleven.

(I'm planning on getting some new reviews up by the summer, when I'm unshackled from the hellish torments and bondage of the American educational system)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 2:05 pm

kyuss is the best stoner metal band!
Back to top Go down
jjbeerj

jjbeerj

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 3:40 pm

protodoom wrote:
kyuss is the best stoner metal band!
Fixed.
Back to top Go down
fixitupchappy

fixitupchappy

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:01 am

Great album! Was surprised to see Demon Cleaner in Guitar Hero Metallica!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley   Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next