Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
    Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search

Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)

Go down 
    4 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Opethian

Opethian

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-07-15

Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) Empty
    PostSubject: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:28 am

Anything but an extreme metal EP - 45/100

When talking about the Opeth, the word 'mediocrity' doesn't fit in well. This band started out as a Progressive metal band, heavily influenced by Swedish death. But now, after thirteen years of their first release, they have lost all of their previous touch.
    Watershed turned out to be disaster, and Akerfeldt hasn't yet endeavored to mend his ways.

Well, I can't say much about Mellotron Heart. Since It happens to be an altered version of Porcelain heart performed on mellotron and mini-Moog synthesizers, how am I supposed to judge it? The Porcupine Tree influence is perceptible, no trace of anything that's remotely close to sounding like 'extreme progressive metal'. Slow and mellow, lasting for over five minutes - I would gladly invest this five minutes in order to listen to 'Death Whispered A Lullaby' . I wonder if there's any change in the Pitch and amplitude throughout this time. So if anyone could educate me about the genre of this particular track, I would be glad. Smile

Burden, Radio Edit? I only listened to this track once and the only difference that I could notice is, this track's a few minutes shorter than its Watershed Version. And that's why , we have another EP that fails do justice to this band's image and productivity. So much for a few minutes.

Opeth covering Alice In Chains. Surprise , Surprise. Akerfeldt does justice to Layne Staley's vocals ( RIP), performing a pretty decent cover. Once again, I have a word or two about the length of this track. Although the lyrics have been shortened, the cover is actually 15 seconds longer than the original one. Well, Akefeldt covered the solo pretty accurately, adding up some of his touch. You would expect Opeth's version to be a bit faster and may be , a bit more aggressive but, hell, it's slower and gets worse with every passing second.

Yes, I am a big Opeth fan. But even though I hate to do this, I have to admit it that the band have had a jaded outlook in terms of production since the release of Watershed. We don't have many wicked growls and evil riffs now-a-days. And the depth in lyrics have also dwindled. Try comparing Black Rose Immortal with any of the tracks in this EP. Sounds Weird, right? But Black Rose Immortal's what, in my opinion, a track that denotes the sound of an extreme metal band, not EPs and singles like this. Smile

Originally written for metal-archives.
    Back to top Go down
    Opethian

Opethian

Number of posts : 238
    Registration date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:34 am

I might have too harsh on them. What do you think , guys? scratch
    Back to top Go down
    GodlessEndeavor

GodlessEndeavor

Number of posts : 1472
    Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Nah, you pretty much nailed it spot-on, 'cept that I think that "Watershed" is ok at most. Though I haven't really listened to the EP, I good a pretty good idea of what it's like, and "Burden" is one of the songs on "Watershed" that I'd gladly skip.
    Back to top Go down
    Set Abominae

Set Abominae

Number of posts : 1156
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 3:50 pm

yeah watershed is pretty weak... it actually sorta drove me away from opeth... bout 2 years ago it was on my top 5 list now it doesnt even hit my top 30 anymore... imo bloodbath is much better then opeth atm... and even that has suffered... as the newest album is the weakest of the 3...
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:18 pm

I for one knew the backlash would come to this band eventually. I think that watershed is great. But the band is a metal staple now and they are an easy target to demonize. I think your review is just fine as it accurately portrays your opinion, even though I disagree with it. The problem is that this is a single, not an EP. they are different in marketing strategy, length, and what is meant to be said with the release. The reason of the shortening of the song to an radio edit is just like what it says, radio edit. The single is for promotional use for the radio and is available to the public. The inclusion of would is just something to sweeten the deal. I actually would have liked the band to play would at least a little different because there is almost no discernible difference between it and the AIC version, I mean Mikael sounds like him almost exactly.

back to the band they need to take an extended break I think, give people a reason to miss the opeth sound.
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 10:52 pm

On the contrary to prevailing opinion, I really enjoyed Watershed. Initially, - and I still believe this criticism is relevant - I felt the transitions were jarring, ill-thought out, and the recording felt like a well-mastered demo, if you catch my drift, where the songs are still taking form; kind of a prototype of a completed album, I guess. But that aside, most of the musical ideas felt revitalised and fresh, and once I got familiar with the songs I started to really enjoy what I was hearing - it was an exciting album from a refreshed band.

As for this single, I think it was just a pointless idea, that could well have been included in Watershed bonus material. The AIC cover was nice, but on the contrary to the typical Opeth style, it was just that - a cover, rather than a re-interpretation that made the song into their own. "Remember Tomorrow" and even "Circle of Tyrants" were of notably different style, yet done with much more conviction. "Would?" was them simply re-playing the same song. Though the lack of conviction probably has something to do with Mike not being a heroin user :p
    Back to top Go down
    KaramAkerfeldt

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 am

I understand it's the same band, but you're comparing death metal to progressive rock, dood.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)   Opeth - Burden ( CD Single) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opeth - Burden ( CD Single)
    Page 1 of 1