Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!

Go down 
+6
Set Abominae
Cuoma
ThornsofCrimsonDeath
Heat
Mash
blackearth
10 posters
AuthorMessage
blackearth

blackearth

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-05-01

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! Empty
PostSubject: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:32 am

I needed to get a handle on my CD collection, which was spread between various boxes, crates, cases and stacks. I got the idea for mine from a wooden rack I saw for sale on the internet that looks like this:

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! 90110

But I needed something with a capacity around 1,000. So, I drew up plans to double the size of the one you see. I found Lowe's sells 4 foot wooden dowel rods (half inch diameter), so I picked up a bunch of those, 3 boards (1x8 and 6 feet long) and a drill bit to make the holes. From the plans I had drawn, I made a cardboard pattern to uniformly mark the holes for the dowel rods on the board which will be used in the middle. I drilled those holes all the way through, and then laid that board on top of the side boards and scored the hole positions with the drill bit. Then I used those marks to drill 1/4 inch holes in the correct spots on the sides. Here's what the pieces look like before being totally assembled.

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! Img_1110

After all the dowels were in the middle board, I had to place it on top of one of the sides, fill the holes with elmer's wood glue, and then try to stick each dowel (all 33 of them!) into their holes.

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! Img_1111

This first side wasn't so bad, but then I had to flip the whole thing over and do the other side! It was much harder to get the other ends of the dowels in there respective holes without pulling them out of the other side, but somehow I got it to work. Sorry there are no photos of this, as it was a very hectic part of the process with all the glueing.

Some miracle was performed and it measured the same width at top, bottom and middle, so I cut 4 pieces of 1x2 and screwed them into the sides and middle to brace everything. I drilled pilot holes using a 1/8 inch bit (I think) and #6 wood screws.

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! Img_1112

Those 1x2s had enough left over to make some feet for it, so I put those on, stood it up, and here it is empty.

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! Img_1113

And here it is filled up!

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! Img_1114

To recap, this rack is 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide. It has 11 shelves and will hold over 1200 CDs! I started listening to and buying metal CDs in 1992, so that is 18 years worth of accumulation you see. Right now it is only sorted by genre. I'll need another weekend to alphabetize everything. The top left shelf is black metal and the rest of the shelves on the left are all death metal! The third shelf down on the right is Traditional and Progressive metal, fourth shelf is Doom, Stoner & Sludge and shelves 5 to 9 are Thrash. Ten is rock & alternative, and eleven is stuff I need to sell/give away.

I'd had this idea for a couple of months and spent quite a bit of time planning it and thinking through the construction process in my head before I bought the materials and built it. It sure feels go to have my plan be a success!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/blackearth
Mash

Mash

Number of posts : 2822
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 am

AWESOME!! That's exactly what I need! Can you build me one????
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Metalmash666
Heat
Admin
Admin
Heat

Number of posts : 10900
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 am

Nice!!! I would bolt that fucker to the wall so it doesn't fall...
Back to top Go down
https://hmpf.forumotion.com
ThornsofCrimsonDeath
Admin
Admin
ThornsofCrimsonDeath

Number of posts : 5414
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 am

Awesome work.
Back to top Go down
Cuoma

Cuoma

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2010-01-01

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am

Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Cuomi
Set Abominae

Set Abominae

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2009-07-09

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:07 pm

fucking nice dude! good job
Back to top Go down
Voggis

Voggis

Number of posts : 3559
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:14 pm

Great work...

When I have finished the planned makeover of the bedroom, I will finally have my entire collection of CD's, LP's and comics placed at the same spot. Now I got it spread around the house at five or six places....
Back to top Go down
http://voggis.blogspot.com/
jjbeerj

jjbeerj

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2009-06-18

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 am

Just goes to show, the greatest minds are from Wisconsin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 pm

KICK FUCKING ASS!!!!!

that is seriously so cool...and your CD collection is EVEN COOLER

great job \m/
Back to top Go down
Vagabond

Vagabond

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:43 pm

I'd pay money for that in a shop. Good job.
Back to top Go down
ostler

ostler

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2010-03-06

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 4:10 pm

I salute you, sir.
Back to top Go down
blackearth

blackearth

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-05-01

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:53 am

Thanks everyone! I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! 546327
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/blackearth
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!   I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Built a Custom CD Rack - PHOTOS!
Page 1 of 1