Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Metal Meltdown
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Metal, All The Time

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Wanna make a reply? Sign in to be a member. IT'S FREE!!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
» ARE YOU GUYS ALIVE?!?!?!
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 8:17 am by metalfutte

» Helloween
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 am by Voggis

» Geocaching
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 am by Voggis

» The Weather Right Now ~ Where You Are!
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 2:32 am by Voggis

» Beyond Mortal Dreams
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm by transearth

» Black Sabbath
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 am by ostler

» Now Playing
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 2:50 am by Voggis

» Michael Schenker
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 am by Voggis

» Mystic Prophecy
Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 am by Voggis

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Random Black Metal Chat.

Go down 
+8
Silent_Scream
ThornsofCrimsonDeath
Voggis
Podgie
GodlessEndeavor
mygga_med_stil
Heat
Mash
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Sigyn84 wrote:
DeathMetalGod wrote:
MayheM! You guys gotta listen to Mayhem. Totally killer Norwegian black metal.

Mayhem are surely one good band, but come on, it´s the name and reputation they´re living from...
I am (obviously) one of the rare Mayhem listeners that loved Grand Declaration of War ( I love avantgarde black metal usually), but of course there´s still this ominous De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas that made an "immortal band" out of them. But honestly, I can remember at least 25 BM groups now that top Mayhem Wink
Swedish, German and French BM scene are nowadays IMO better than the Norwegian one.

To make it short - Mayhem is good band to start with, but it´s most definitely not alpha and omega of black metal.
Very good post, and corresponding with my own views, up to the Grand Declaration of War bit. It's a really good album, it's just, it's more like an Arcturus record, and not a Mayhem one. To me, Hellhammer revived the band only to have people know the name already, which is in a way totally in spirit of Mayhem. Still, I guess if anyone thinks of Mayhem they think of Crappy Translation Into Latin, not their newer albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 8:01 am

NaturensGalleri wrote:
Any good depressive BM to recommend? I like bands like Shining, ColdWorld, Nocturnal Depression, Nyktalgia, Nae'Blis, Den Saakaldte...just no vocals like Silencer, pretty please, I can't listen to that.

Go for Lyrinx, Austere, Anti, Todeskult, Managarm, Blutklinge, Trist, Thy Light, Gris and Hypothermia. Along with Nyktalgia, they are the cream of Depressive Black Metal in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 8:07 am

Sigyn84 wrote:

Mayhem are surely one good band, but come on, it´s the name and reputation they´re living from...

Utter rubbish. DMDS is one of the greatest Black Metal albums ever, and that really is saying something. And Ordo Ad Chao is a modern masterpiece, I think it's one of Mayhems best albums, it's completely refreshing in the, to be fair, fairly stale state of Black Metal at the moment. Sure, because of the murder and church burning they gained a reputation, but that was years back.

Sigyn84 wrote:

I am (obviously) one of the rare Mayhem listeners that loved Grand Declaration of War ( I love avantgarde black metal usually), but of course there´s still this ominous De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas that made an "immortal band" out of them. But honestly, I can remember at least 25 BM groups now that top Mayhem Wink
Swedish, German and French BM scene are nowadays IMO better than the Norwegian one.

To make it short - Mayhem is good band to start with, but it´s most definitely not alpha and omega of black metal.

There will always be a better band, if everyone just listened to the best, we'd all be listening to Morbid Angel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Kruzifixxion wrote:
Sigyn84 wrote:

Utter rubbish. DMDS is one of the greatest Black Metal albums ever, and that really is saying something. And Ordo Ad Chao is a modern masterpiece, I think it's one of Mayhems best albums, it's completely refreshing in the, to be fair, fairly stale state of Black Metal at the moment. Sure, because of the murder and church burning they gained a reputation, but that was years back.

Sigyn84 wrote:

There will always be a better band, if everyone just listened to the best, we'd all be listening to Morbid Angel.

Listen, I don't mind you having your own view, but I absolutely hate it when somebody calls my opinion "utter rubbish" just because it does not fit you. Sorry, but are you musical alpha and omega?
Music taste is a very subjective and individual thing, so neither of us right or wrong. Ok?
Now that we made this clear, let's go on to Mayhem...

DMDS is an awesome album, I only can agree, when Ordo ad Chao stays something I could not get "warm" with. Strange album all in all. I would never deny the impact Mayhem had on the scene and the fact that they are one cult band, but they're just simply not what they used to be. Every member has 10.000 side projects and Mayhem seems to be somewhere on the side. Something you go to, when you need to sell records again and remind the fans that you still exist. They will always get attention, not matter how bad or good their CDs will be and that's what I meant by saying "they live from their reputation". Btw, I dig Mayhem, check my Last.fm site, I have "few" scrobbles there... Wink

I don´t think that BM is in stale state atm, I don´t know which scene are you into, but if it´s norwegian, I can agree, they had great bands in the 90's. But if you think of swedish, german and french, I can only say... check bands like Arckanum, Farsot, Peste Noire if you didn't already and I wonder what you'll say after that.

And no, I don't like Death Angel at all, it's just not "my" music, now call me names again lol! Wink

PS: Manegarm are depressive BM? Did I miss something from their discography? Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 3:13 pm

hmmm very tense in here.

So what does everyone think of Summoning?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 3:05 pm

ok anyone recommend something like summoning?

im kinda into black metal now...MINUS THE SHITTY PRODUCTION QUALITY PLEASE...anything good...im open to suggestions >.<
Back to top Go down
GodlessEndeavor

GodlessEndeavor

Number of posts : 1472
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Slaytanic wrote:
hmmm very tense in here.

Summoning's pretty great! I really enjoyed "Oath Bound". Any other note-worthy albums?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 3:08 am

^^^ ive listened to minas morgul. check it out. i liked outh bound better, but maybe thats coz ive listenend to it too fucking much. but check that out. its a good album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 1:47 pm

great to walk in on that Mayhem convo lol

as for summoning my fav is Stronghold almost solely based on the track : "Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes"

it has a bit of the shittier end of the production but I think it fits and works and that track has a nice nostalgic feel to it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Personally can't stand Summoning; I've got Minas Morgul and their debut. both of those albums go nowhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 am

I am not fan of black metal, I like some bands with black metal influences, but that's all, not my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 3:03 am

There's nothing dafter than comments like "Mayhem are not Black Metal", when they clearly are.

The scene elitist, in a misanthropic scene of extremity, immediately wishes to discard that which came before to gain some form of credibility. I can understand this, it used to piss me off when I was younger when I said I liked metal and the only comment I would hear is "Me too, I love Metallica!"

But... it doesn't change a thing. You can consider Venom, Bathory, et al. to be the first wave of BM, and many do, though I don't.

But the next or first wave was definitely the Norwegian scene with particular focus on Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, etc. and as such like them or not, that's where Black Metal started.

Deathcrush is the only Mayhem release that you could debate whether it's BM or DM, the rest are clearly BM, good, bad or indifferent.

The only Mayhem album I dislike is Chimaera, which I file under the category of trying too hard to be different, without trying to be good.

All their other official releases have merit of some form or another. Though the Live in Liepzig bootleg, is an example of why fans should be told to take their tape recorders and fuck off, the sound quality is abysmal and it should never have gained a release of any form.

I even liked Maniac's vocal, no he's not Atilla. In the same way Dio, Gillan and Martin are not Ozzy, but they are all great vocalists in their own right...

To dismiss the contribution of Mayhem to the BM scene is laughable. Without Euronymous and his shop, there almost certainly would have been no BM scene today, there was no parallel evolution going on it was an orginating point.
Back to top Go down
Podgie

Podgie

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2009-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 7:48 am

I don't know if you expected anyone to comment on your post, or you just wanted to have a rant 👅 but, if someone says "Mayhem are not black metal" then they're wrong.

Oh and I actually like Chimaera, I think it's pretty good. (I seem to enjoy a lot of the 'shit' albums bands make haha)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:55 pm

lol, I didn't mind Chimera either; it's no De Mysteriis or Deathcrush, but the songs on it were pretty good, I thought. Maniac is a little bit homoerotical with his "pig head" sling though :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Everything after De Mysteriis is not worth listening to. They should've just let it die after that release.
Back to top Go down
Voggis

Voggis

Number of posts : 3559

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 am

Anybody who knows where to find rare releases and recordings of Norwegian Black Metal bands from early 90's other than eBay?

Any links to online shops or similar would be very helpful.

If you have, just PM me.

TIA.
Back to top Go down
http://voggis.blogspot.com/
ThornsofCrimsonDeath
Admin
Admin
ThornsofCrimsonDeath

Number of posts : 5414
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Ophthalama - Via Dolorosa

an masterpiece anyone should hear. They play melodic black with some doom and atmospheric parts, even progreesive. Jon Nödyveidt was once an part of this band. Legion as well

The have lyrics both in english and swedish.

Btw A journey in darkness shoudl eb checked up as well, with Jon on vocals
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 2:29 am

I really liked the Opthalamia album as well. It's a long time since I've listened to it, but that post has inspired me to dig it out, dust it off and have a blast today.
Back to top Go down
ThornsofCrimsonDeath
Admin
Admin
ThornsofCrimsonDeath

Number of posts : 5414
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 8:26 am

Awesome man.
Back to top Go down
Voggis

Voggis

Number of posts : 3559

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 5:05 am

Here's the best documentary about the Black Metal "movement" in Norway that is made:

Once Upon A Time In Norway

Part 1:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 4:25 pm

^^sounds good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 5:50 am

just came across some new cool atmospheric bm bands, all have released their debut albums this year, they`re pretty good

Andacht
http://www.myspace.com/andachtmusic

Wodensthrone
http://www.myspace.com/wodensthrone

Midnight Odyssey
http://www.myspace.com/midnightodysseyband
Back to top Go down
Silent_Scream

Silent_Scream

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:24 am

GodlessEndeavor wrote:
Slaytanic wrote:
hmmm very tense in here.

Summoning's pretty great! I really enjoyed "Oath Bound". Any other note-worthy albums?
Let Mortals Heroes Sing Your Fame is great, give it a try!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/phosphorusqc
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Black Metal Chat.   Random Black Metal Chat. - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Black Metal Chat.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next